NASCAR driver Kurt Busch opened up about his recent domestic violence issues prior to the NASCAR Sprint Cup series race at Phoenix International Raceway Sunday. In a report shown on Fox Sports prior to the race, Busch was interviewed by Fox Sports’ Chris Meyers.
Busch has remained mostly silent since his ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll accused him of domestic battery last year. The incident occurred while NASCAR was at Dover International Speedway during the weekend of Sept. 26-28 last year. In November, Driscoll reported the incident to police and filed for the protective order at the same time alleging that Busch was verbally abusive and that he wished he “had a gun so he could kill himself.” As a result of the incident Driscoll asked a Delaware court that Busch,36, be evaluated by a psychiatrist and that he stay away from her and her son and that a protective order be issued. The hearing for that protective order wrapped up several January 13. The protective order was granted by the court on Feb. 16.
Busch was suspended by NASCAR on Feb. 20. The suspension came after the commissioner in Delaware published his reasoning for issuance of the protective order. Busch appealed the suspension and was denied by NASCAR. Last Thursday the Delaware Attorney General’s office said that no charges will be filed in the domestic battery complaint. Last Wednesday NASCAR cleared Busch to return to competition. The sanctioning body released a statement saying that he will remain under indefinite probation and be subject to additional mandatory requirements that NASCAR said includes, but are not limited to participation in a treatment program and full compliance with any judicial requirements placed upon him.
Busch participated in a teleconference with the media on Wednesday. During that session, Busch revealed little beyond expressing his gratitude of being back in the car. Sunday on the prerace show, Busch opened up a bit more about the charges that are now behind him. MORE>>>