NASCAR champion Tony Stewart met with the media Friday for the first time since a non-racing accident sidelined him last month. Stewart was injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident on January 31 in California. The 44-year old suffered a suffered a burst fracture of the L1 vertebra. He was flown to North Carolina the following Tuesday and underwent surgery the following day.
Friday Stewart met with the media at Las Vegas Motor Speedway as the NASCAR Sprint Cup series prepares for Sunday’s Kobalt 400. It was not his first time at a track since his accident; Stewart made a brief appearance at Atlanta Motor Speedway last week and gave advice to one of his two interim drivers Ty Dillon. Friday, Stewart said he was still unable to provide a timetable for his return.
“I wish I knew,” Stewart said. “I actually go back to Charlotte for x-rays next Wednesday.