The family of sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against NASCAR driver Tony Stewart. An attorney representing the family said Stewart is the only named defendant in the lawsuit filed Friday in the 5th Judicial District for the Supreme Court of the State of New York in Lowville. Stewart was involved in an accident at Canandiagua Motorsports Park in upstate New York on August 9 2014. In the aftermath 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. was dead.
Video showed that Ward had been involved with Stewart on the previous lap. The video showed Ward’s car as it came to rest on the back stretch. Ward exited the vehicle, and still wearing his racing helmet walked toward the line of cars circling under caution. He angrily pointed towards the car driven by Stewart; Stewart’s car struck Ward who was thrown in the air and landed several feet away. Ward was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said in a news conference shortly after the accident that Stewart was “fully co-operative” and appeared “very upset” after the incident adding that the investigation is not criminal and that no charges have been filed. MORE>>>
- NASCAR to debut new short track package at Phoenix - February 28, 2023
- The Wrench Who Stole Racing - December 16, 2022
- Matt DiBenedetto’s excellent run comes to abrupt, violent end - February 17, 2019