Ward family files wrongful death suit against NASCAR’s Tony Stewart

Tony Stewart on track during practice for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International on Friday, August 7, 2015 in Watkins Glen, New York.

Tony Stewart on track during practice for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International on Friday, August 7, 2015 in Watkins Glen, New York.

The family of sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against NASCAR driver Tony Stewart. An attorney representing the family said Stewart is the only named defendant in the lawsuit filed Friday in the 5th Judicial District for the Supreme Court of the State of New York in Lowville. Stewart was involved in an accident at Canandiagua Motorsports Park in upstate New York on August 9 2014. In the aftermath 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. was dead.

Video showed that Ward had been involved with Stewart on the previous lap. The video showed Ward’s car as it came to rest on the back stretch. Ward exited the vehicle, and still wearing his racing helmet walked toward the line of cars circling under caution. He angrily pointed towards the car driven by Stewart; Stewart’s car struck Ward who was thrown in the air and landed several feet away. Ward was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said in a news conference shortly after the accident that Stewart was “fully co-operative” and appeared “very upset” after the incident adding that the investigation is not criminal and that no charges have been filed. MORE>>>

Comments

This entry was posted in Main Page, NASCAR News, Top Stories and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.


Keep warm on cold nights at the track in Official NASCAR Jackets at Store.NASCAR.com

Keep warm on cold nights at the track in Official NASCAR Jackets at Store.NASCAR.com