Stewart-Haas Racing released a statement Wednesday that updated NASCAR champion Tony Stewart’s condition. Stewart was injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident on January 31 in California. The 44-year old suffered a suffered a burst fracture of the L1 vertebra. He was flown to North Carolina the following Tuesday and underwent surgery the following day. Wednesday he was seen and evaluated by doctors.
The team said doctors were satisfied with the amount of healing that has taken place, and that doctors have implemented a rehabilitation regimen that will hasten Stewart’s recovery. As for when he will return to racing, the team said future evaluations will be necessary before a timetable is known for Stewart’s return.
Stewart met with the media formally for the first time last week at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. It was not his first time at a track since his accident; Stewart made a brief appearance at Atlanta Motor Speedway last week and gave advice to one of his two interim drivers Ty Dillon. Last Friday, Stewart said he was still unable to provide a timetable for his return.